Sunday, March 9, 2008

GMAT Practice

So I got up early a couple Saturdays ago to take a GMAT practice test. Now going into the test I had never done any research or practice tests or anything but it was free so I thought, why not? Lets give it a try.

Well I got my results back this Saturday and when I opened it I was pretty disappointed. Now 10 seconds later my Dad put the results into perspective for me. I was comparing them to the Penn State grading scale so a 71% was a C- in my mind. He then reminded me it was a score about what percentile I ranked in and that I was being compared with graduating seniors and grad students so then I felt a little better. A 71% is "slightly above average" and it is lower then I eventually want on the test but for a first try I was satisfied I guess.

For anyone who doesn't know, the GMAT test is the test grad schools look at before granting admittance. It is like the SAT for business majors. It is a no calculator test that is half bubble test and half essay. The bubble portion is half math and half verbal. Thats the part I took. It was 75 minutes a section and each section took me most of the time. I finished the verbal part a little early. So all in all I suppose I was happy with it. There are some things in each section I will have to review because its been years since I used it and especially since it has been years since I have done it without a calculator (ie. exponents and geometry).

Another oddity with this test was they give you a question with two statements and you have to say if you have enough information to solve for the asked variable with one statement, both statements, or you do not have enough information at all. I think this is the first time I've had a problem like that so that through me for a loop a little bit.

Anyway, it was nice to get the practice and I think getting up for the test on Saturday will eventually pay off when I go into the test for real knowing what is in front of me.

No comments: